【破产新闻】Caesars Unit Clears Nevada Hurdle in Bankruptcy Emergence

August 24, 2017   By Richard N. Velotta

 

For Caesars Entertainment Corp.’s lengthy and, so far, triumphant climb out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, it was “Veni, vidi, vici” — “I came, I saw, I conquered.”

 

Nevada Gaming Commission Chairman Tony Alamo, like his state Gaming Control Board counterpart, A.G. Burnett, two weeks earlier, quoted the Latin phrase attributed to Julius Caesar on the Battle of Zela after commissioners unanimously approved a series of registrations and licensing that will enable the Las Vegas-based gaming giant to clear Nevada’s final regulatory hurdle while in bankruptcy.

 

Caesars has 47 properties worldwide, including nine in Las Vegas.

 

Caesars CEO Mark Frissora, Tim Donovan, the company’s general counsel and compliance officer, and chief financial officer Eric Hession explained a merger of Caesars Entertainment Corp. with Caesars Entertainment Operating Co. and the emerging company’s exit from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as well as registrations of subsidiary companies and LLCs and the licensing and suitability of several corporate officers, executives and key employees.

Most members of the commission sat in on or read transcripts from Caesars’ presentation to the state Gaming Control Board in Carson City on Aug. 9 at which board members unanimously recommended approval of every regulatory matter.

 

Commissioners, who didn’t have to approve the bankruptcy plan but instead licensed and registered the new post-bankruptcy entities, had no objections in their hearing, but questioned executives to fully understand the corporate restructuring.

 

Under terms of the bankruptcy emergence plan, outlined in an 839-page registration statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission last month, Caesars would separate nearly all of its U.S.-based real estate property assets from its gaming operations. Caesars Entertainment would continue to own and manage the gaming operations and the property assets would be held by a newly created real estate investment trust owned by some creditors.

 

Caesars filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in January 2015 and after two years of contentious negotiations among creditors, Judge Benjamin Goldgar of the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago approved the bankruptcy plan in January 2017.

 

Company shareholders overwhelmingly approved a merger in two separate votes late last month.

 

Caesars is now down to two jurisdictions needing to approve the company’s emergence from bankruptcy. Company officials will meet with regulators in Louisiana and Missouri in September and plan to escape bankruptcy in early October.

 

Contact Richard N. Velotta at rvelotta@reviewjournal.com or 702-477-3893. Follow @RickVelotta on Twitter.

Big plans for Caesars

 

Caesars CEO Mark Frissora told the Nevada Gaming Commission that Caesars Entertainment has big growth plans once it emerges from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in October.

 

The company already has invested $640 million on improvements on the Strip, including 6,000 room renovations this year and 4,000 in 2016.

 

Frissora said the company is looking to license the Caesars and Flamingo brands domestically and internationally and would consider property acquisitions.

 

Caesars also is looking to develop 90 acres in various locations in Las Vegas over the next two to three years, including a 300,000-square-foot convention facility east of The Linq Promenade serving nearby Harrah’s, Flamingo and The Linq Hotel and could lead to the addition of 300 to 400 new jobs when completed.

 

Source: https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/casinos-gaming/caesars-unit-clears-nevada-hurdle-in-bankruptcy-emergence/

Copyright © 2013 | 上海交通大学凯原法学院破产保护法研究中心,沪交ICP备20121189
上海市徐汇区华山路1954号,上海交通大学凯原法学院破产保护法研究中心(邮编: 200030 E-mail: chinainsollaw@126.com) 技术支持:维程互联